Saturday, April 12, 2008

Brother's cars

We don't think he owned this car, which he posed with in West Germany after the war.

He wrote in a memory book for his grandson Noah:

After "the big one" (World War II), I bought an A Model Ford of 1929 vintage. My friends and I christened it "Gaatie Mae" and we had lots of fun driving around town in it. Shortly before I was called back into the Army, I sold it for $200, if you can believe that. When your grandmother and I were married, we purchased a converted U.S. Army Jeep, but it was stolen and wrecked shortly afterward. We then purchased a 1937 Opel sedan and drove it all over Germany, Holland, Luxembourg and Denmark, as well as to and from work every day. We sold it when we were ready to return to the States and purchased a new Plymouth. Were we ever proud to be owners of a new car, but we wondered how we could make the monthly payments.

No comments: