Saturday, April 12, 2008

Clyde and Mamie

Clyde Clifton Miller (May 30, 1894-Aug. 5, 1938) and Mamie Louella Jackson (March 26, 1895-Oct. 7, 1951) were married on June 25, 1916, in North Carolina. Mamie was a widow whose first husband, Charles Norman Martin Sr. (1899-Nov. 4, 1918) had died in the great influenza epidemic. She had a stepson, Charles Norman Martin Jr. (Sept. 15, 1913-) and a baby girl, Norma Louise Martin (July 6, 1917-June 17, 2009).

Clyde and Mamie are the couple at right. Relatives report that each had a limp and they seemed to sway when they walked together, something they laughed about. We like that image!

Brother Miller wrote this of his parents:
My parents were very strict about honesty and regular church attendance, and didn't allow profanity or drinking. ... Until I was on my own, I never realized how much my parents sacrificed for us.

Clyde and Mamie Miller are buried at Woodland Cemetery in Winston-Salem, N.C. The four photos below were taken in November 2011, when my North Carolina first cousins David Edwards and Dee Ann Edwards and I visited their graves.




No comments: